17 July 2011

It's good to have friends with different interests.





As someone who has a lot of different interests, it's great to have several circles of friends with whom I can share my passions. This weekend has been a great example of that. The last couple of summer weekends I haven't had much going on, but this weekend there has been one of those rare convergences where so many things were going on, I couldn't get to all of them.

It started Saturday morning. I took a drive to the south shore of Lake Simcoe to see the Queenston Players do some Shakespeare on the grounds of the sadly departed Red Barn Theatre. Aside from the overpowering sunshine, you couldn't have asked for a better day for a little Romeo and Juliet, Shrew, Hamlet, MacBeth and Dream. My friends Patsi and John along with the rest of the troupe, very admirably handled the text, and the cuts that were made made the stories easy to follow.

From there I headed north to the fields of Oro-Medonte, where Ed had invited the Blue Beetle Comics gang to his place for a barbecue. And what a feast it was! Ed takes his barbecue very seriously so the ribs and pulled pork had been smoked for hours. The sauce he made beat anything that comes in a bottle. His wife Ang made some of the most delicious cole slaws I've ever had. It was great catching up with everyone in that geek circle since my new job prevents me from meeting up with them on the traditional Wednesday nights after new comic day. Great food, great friends and great general geekiness!

The weekend closed with a drive down to Mississauga. My friend Tric had asked for a geocaching lesson so I headed south to hit the city. I met up with Phil and Amanda, who were going to join us, for a brief look around the Disney Store at Square One first. (Did you know they sell Vinylmation at the Disney Store now?) About 2:00 we got to Tric's and went out into the wilds of Mississauga. We ended up finding 5 caches on the day and had a great time trying to stay cool.

So my lesson in all this is to indulge your passions. Meet people who share those passions. And live life to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment